National Accordion Awareness Month
June is National Accordion Awareness Month (NAAM).
National Accordion Awareness Month was established in 1989 to help spread the word about the resurgence in popularity in the accordion and to educate people about the accordion.
· A blue-ribbon panel of experts recently named the accordion as the instrument most likely to put a smile on your face (or a dent in your head if someone drops one on you).
· The piano accordion is the official musical instrument of the city of San Francisco and has been since 1990.
· Actress Lucy Liu plays the accordion
· Guitarist Nils Lofgren started on the accordion.
· Billy Joel and Barry Manilow also play the accordion.
· Danny Federico (Springsteen) started out as a classical accordionist.
· The accordion is a member of the reed family, not the keyboard family.
· The first United States-made piano accordion (the ones with the keys on it) was manufactured in San Francisco back in 1907. It was at the Guerrini Accordion Company on DuPont St. (Grant Ave., near Columbus Ave.)
· When people think of an accordion, they usually envision that large, black monstrosity with piano keys on one side and about a thousand buttons on the other side. However, the accordion family also includes Cajun button boxes, chromatic and diatonic button accordions, the concertina, the bayan, and the bandoneon.
· China is the largest manufacturer and exporter of accordions in the world.
For more information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.